she's heeeeeere! i snapped this right after she rang the doorbell- i was so excited to spend some girl time together hanging out, cooking, and EATING.
Ogechi brought me some of this insanely good sweet potato black bean soup while i was in the hospital having Chiso, and again once we got home and adjusted to being a 3 member family. so this recipe is AAAALLLL her! she gets 100% credit and nothing but 100% gratitude from me.
it was a no-brainer as to what we'd be making for our cooking date.
'just be natural, Ogechi!' lol.
Sonny better be glad he wasn't home cause he knows he woulda been our photographer for the evening.
she brought the bulk of the ingredients with her and even some gifts for me:
SEASONINGS!!!!!!! :shock: smoky chipotle...it smelled magical.
and some sweet smoked paprika. will that not be BOMBTASTIC on some fresh salmon!?
this girl loooooooooves the spice aisle @ Marshalls and hooked me up big time. she also brought me some hickory smoked salt. i have been convinced to go look around for more spice aisle goodies at Marshalls / Home Goods / T. J. Maxx for sure.
we broke out all the ingredients on the island, and yaaaaay, she brought the Bragg's liquid aminos!!! then, Ogechi whipped out her kitchen knife.
yes, she brought her own knife! i completely understand... i'm the same way with my own kitchen utensils and pots and pans. she was slicing and dicing away on the onions, garlic and sweet potatoes with her impressive knife skills, my goodness. i was in awe cause ummmm.... i put the rough in rough chop :lol:
'i just love the sound of sizzling vegetables.'
me too Ogechi, me too.
medjool dates- sweet and chewy. Ogechi brought these with her, but i had some fake medjools (they were cheaper *shrugs*) i bought in bulk from HEB last week. they have been sitting on my counter staring at me since then. i've seen them used in pie crusts for vegan recipes and i plan on making some key lime pie soon, just in time for turkey day next month!
p.s. remove the bay leaves after the soup is done; they get bitter if left in too long.
time to taste! a few pinches of salt and some fresh cilantro made it perfect.
Chi enjoyed his dinner and the show.
sweet potato black bean soup
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can diced tomatoes (may use fresh as well)
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn (may use canned)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 medjool dates chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp smoky paprika chipotle seasoning- (can use regular paprika, no worries)
- 1 tsp cumin
- *1 tsp smokey sweet paprika.....(add this more for color but it gives a nice smokey taste too) optional!
- 1/2 cube low sodium veggie bouillon
- 1 tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos
- salt & pepper to taste (or chili powder)
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1-2tbsp olive oil (may use vegetable oil)
- 3 cups broth or stock
- 3 cups water
- chop the onions, garlic & cut sweet potatoes into bite sizes.
- heat oil in sauce pan on medium heat, add onions, garlic and sweet potatoes. saute for 3-5mins.
- while veggies are sautéing, rinse beans very well (this helps keep the soup color pretty & not muddy brown & washing off extra salt too).
- after 3-5mins of sautéing, add the stock to the pot.
- throw everything else in.....the beans, tomatoes, salsa, dates, corn, bouillon cube (melt this with a lil warm water first) ginger, all seasonings and top off with water.
- add enough liquid to make it soup. remember, the size of the soup will reduce a bit as it simmers.
- cover and let simmer for about 30mins.
- taste and adjust seasoning (some salt or even an extra dash of Braggs ) as needed, then top with cilantro, cheese avocado, lime, sriracha, etc.