this is my go-to chili recipe! this is also my "the heck are we having for dinner tonight?" recipe. it changes depending onRead More
conebread. today is spell-it-like-you-say-it-day.
aaaah yeeeeez.... it's finally chili and cornbread weather in Houston!
if you're like me, then you prolly already have multiple cans of pure pumpkin in your pantry in prep for next month. whoa. way too many p's in one sentence. pop one of those babies open and make this chili while we count down the days until TG.
lean turkey pumpkin black bean chili (adapted from here)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 can Low Sodium Black Beans
- 4 tbsp Liquid Aminos
- 1 can Libby's pure pumpkin
- 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sriracha chili sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- spray your large pan with no-stick cooking spray and set it to medium - high heat.
- add onion, bell pepper, & garlic, 1 tbsp of the cilantro, and cook while stirring frequently until translucent; about 4-5 minutes.
- add ground turkey (or chicken, or beef) and cook until browned.
- add tomatoes, pumpkin, mushrooms, chicken broth, sweet corn, sriracha, chili powder, cumin, garlic & onion powder, liquid aminos, rest of the cilantro and pepper and bring to a boil.
- reduce heat to medium low and add beans.
- cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 more minutes so those flavors can work their magic.
and because you can't eat one without the other,
sweet golden cornbread: (adapted from here)
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Stone Ground Yellow Corn Meal
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill 100& Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Stevia for baking
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance Whipped Organic Buttery Spread, slightly melted
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn
- preheat oven to 425°
- sift together dry ingredients into a bowl.
- add egg, milk, butter, corn, and oil.
- beat until smooth; do not overbeat.
- spray your pan with no-stick cooking spray (or add some melted buttery spread to the bottom of the pan and pour your batter into it for those buttery, crackalicious, crispy edges!!! thanks mom :)
- bake for 20-23 minutes.
i put my batter in a 9 in round pan and cut it into 8 slices. stats for 1 slice:
uuuugggghhh, is it November yet!?!?!? all i wanted to do was clock in and teach my class this morning :shock:
Halloween has just never been my thing. this is a picture, AND the thing is fake, and it's still giving me chills. blood, gore, guts, horror movies - no thank you!
Q: what is your least favorite holiday?